Toxicologist with over 18 years’ experience in toxicological evaluation, risk assessment, regulatory development, and the assessment and management of contaminated sites.
SPB CONSULTING, Juneau, AK
Principal Toxicologist and Owner, June 2010 – Present
- Operate company as a sole-proprietor, responsible for all marketing, accounting, technical expertise, and client relations.
- Provide principal level technical expertise in the areas of toxicology and risk assessment. Work comprises of chemical and exposure assessments, including evaluation of emerging contaminants, sulfolane and perfluorinated compounds, exposure through wild foods, and volitization to indoor air.
- Conduct and review human health and ecological risk assessments under state and federal regulations and guidelines.
- Manage teams of scientists conducting toxicological and chemical analyses.
- Coordinate with state and federal public health agencies.
- Review and author state guidance, policies, fact sheets and regulations.
- Actively participate in community outreach activities and public meetings.
Ecology and Environment, Inc., Juneau, AK
Chief Toxicologist, March 2004 – August 2010
- Provided technical expertise in the areas of toxicology and risk assessment to West Coast offices.
- Developed risk assessments, work plans, toxicological evaluations, and health and exposure assessments.
- Responsible for data management, statistical evaluation, client support, budget and schedule.
- Conducted CERLA and state-compliant risk assessments, health impact assessments, environmental impact assessments, hazard mitigation and emergency response preparedness plans.
Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Juneau, AK
Environmental Program Manager, March 2002 – March 2004
Risk Assessor, December 1999 – March 2002
- Managed the Technical Services Section of the Contaminated Sites Program which provided expertise to the State in risk assessment, toxicology, chemistry, community involvement, database management, and website development. Section implemented the Laboratory Approval Program and Underground Storage Tank Pollution Prevention and Inspection Program.
- Responsible for regulation and policy development for the Program.
- Managed approximately $2 million in federal grant funds annually and supervised 13 professionals.
- Served as the lead risk assessor reviewing risk assessments and work plans for the Program.
- Conducted training sessions and workshops.
Smith Bayliss Leresch, Juneau, AK
Environmental Scientist, 1999
- Conducted preliminary assessments and site inspections.
University of Washington, Seattle WA
Laboratory Research Assistant, 1997 – 1999
- Evaluated impacts of methyl mercury exposure in mammal kidney, brain, and overall body burden through varied laboratory techniques including HPLC, GC/MS, and cold vapor atomic fluorescence spectroscopy.
Emission Technologies, Inc., Burlington, WA
Quality Assurance Supervisor, 1996 – 1997
- Evaluated data and conducted laboratory analysis for air emissions source testing.
Skagit Valley Community College, Mount Vernon, WA
Chemistry Instructor, 1996 – 1997
- Lead instructor for chemistry concepts, chemistry lab, and introduction chemistry classes.
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Master of Science in Environmental Health – Program of Toxicology, August 1999
Washington State University, Pullman, WA
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science; Minor in Mathematics, August 1996
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Certificate in Paralegal Studies, December 2016
- Benchmark Dose Modeling, Environmental Protection Agency
- Developing Health Assessments, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
- Radiation Risk Assessment, Interstate Technology Regulatory Council
- Indoor Air Pathway Evaluation, EPA Region 10
- Risk-based Decision Making, EPA Region 10
- Outrage Management in Environmental Health Controversies, Peter Sandman
- Citizen Participation, Institute for Participatory Management and Planning
- Four-phase Partitioning, Federal Aviation Administration
- Farris, A.M., S.D. Buss, and T. Cardona-Marek, 2013, Setting a Regulatory Cleanup Level for the Emerging Contaminant Sulfolane, Society of Risk Analysis.
- Lewandowski, T.A., C.H. Pierce, S.D. Pingree, S. Hong, and E.M. Faustman, 2002, Methylmercury Distribution in the Pregnant Rat and Embryo During Early Midbrain Organogenesis, Teratology, 66(5):235-241.
- Pingree, S.D., P.L. Simmonds, K.T. Rummel, and J.S. Woods, 2001, Quantitative Evaluation of Urinary Porphyrins as a Measure of Kidney Mercury Content and Mercury Body Burden During Prolonged Methylmercury Exposure in Rats, Toxicological Sciences, 61:234-340.
- Pingree, S.D., P.L. Simmonds, and J.S. Woods, 2001, Effects of 2,3-Demercapto-1-Propanesulfonic Acid (DMPS) on Tissue and Urine Mercury Levels Following Prolonged Methylmercury Exposure in Rats, Toxicological Sciences, 61:224-233.
- Pingree, S.D., P.L. Simmonds, and J.S. Woods, 1999, Effects of 2,3-Demercapto-1-Propane-Sulfonate (DMPS) on Tissue and Urine Mercury Levels in Methyl Mercury-Exposed Rats, The Toxicologist, 48:330.